This tomato cabbage soup recipe is not only delicious, but it is super healthy as well! Cabbage is very cleansing for the body, making it a great weight loss aid for those struggling with their weight. On top of that, it’s loaded with a variety of vegetables to give you loads of natural flavors.
Even better, you have the choice to add your favorite meat, such as turkey or chicken. In my case, I added leftover turkey breast meat. If you want to go with chicken, here’s a Chicken Breast Brine Recipe to ensure you get lots of flavors in your chicken prior to adding it to your soup.
Another option is to serve this with a heavy cream or lime juice. Both are delicious, but to lighten the load a bit, lime is my favorite these days!
Yet another reason to love this soup recipe is that it is so quick and easy to make! You simply chop your veggies and throw them into a pot and let them simmer until done. Easy Peasy!
Serve with your favorite meat and mashed or baked potato dish. Dinner rolls and garlic bread also go great with this delicious homemade soup.
Olive oil. This is the base for sautéing your vegetables. It’s healthier than butter, but you most certainly can use butter if you like.
Onion. Any cooking onion will do for this recipe.
Garlic. I always go with fresh cloves because they just taste better.
Cabbage. I generally go with green cabbage, but purple cabbage or a mix of both can work too.
Carrots. One large carrot is all you need.
Bell pepper. Any color will work; choose one color or a mixture for more color.
Zucchini. Zucchini in soup, especially with tomato and cabbage, is so delicious! So add one or two, whatever you have in your fridge.
Chicken broth. Any brand will work here. You can choose between regular and low-sodium.
Tomato soup. I used canned tomato soup because it’s so convenient and economical.
Salt and pepper to taste. If you’re using a regular broth, you most likely do not need to add additional salt, so always do a taste test first.
Other Recipes to Try:
- Creamy Tomato Soup Recipe Using Canned Soup
- Lipton Chicken Noodle Soup Hack
- Easy Meatloaf Recipe
- Roast Beef Hash Recipe
- Corn and Beef Taquitos Recipe
Tomato Cabbage Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups cabbage, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 284ml can tomato soup
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: 2 cups cooked chicken or turkey, diced
- In a large pot, heat olive oil on medium heat.
- Add the onions and sauté for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, carrots, peppers, and zucchini. Sauté for about 5-10 minutes until cabbage begins to wilt.
- Add the chicken broth and tomato soup. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 20-30 minutes until vegetables are cooked.
- Serve with cream or lemon or lime juice.