This creamy tomato soup recipe is made using canned tomato soup. Although the soup can be delicious on it’s own, adding a few additional ingredients is a great way to dress up a can of soup. For this recipe I added in an additional tomato along with some diced onion, garlic, Italian seasoning, basil, red wine vinegar and a delicious dose of heavy cream.
With the modifications it takes about 30-40 minutes to make because I like to thoroughly cook the onion and tomato and let the flavors blend well with the Italian seasoning and basil.
It’s a bit chunky with the onions and an extra tomato, but you can always take it to the blender if you prefer a smooth soup. It only takes a few minutes and can make all the difference if that is your preference. Either way, you can serve this elevated tomato soup with your favorite garlic bread or grilled cheese, and/or a simple Caesar salad.
Although you can enjoy this any time of year, and in any weather, I prefer my hot soups on cold and rainy days! There is just something about a warm soup on a cold and rainy day that takes the chill away. I’m sure you know the feeling!
This soup is delicious the way it is, but if you’re looking for a few other ideas, you can always add in an additional clove of garlic, and ¼ teaspoon or so of oregano.
Parmesan is always great, especially if you’re serving this with a garlic bread or a Caesar salad.
Another option is to add about a tablespoon of basil pesto. You can actually do this instead of the basil and Italian seasoning.
And if you want to go Mexican, you could try some cumin, coriander, and fresh cilantro instead of the Italian herbs. Then for the kick, red hot peppers is one of my favorites.
Other Recipes to Try:
- Creamy Pasta with Italian Sausage and Ground Beef
- Corn and Beef Taquitos Recipe
- Easy Meatball Recipe
- Easy Taco Salad Recipe
- Oven Baked Kale Chips Recipe
Creamy Tomato Soup Using Canned Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
cup onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup tomato, diced
- 1/2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp basil, dried
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 284 ml can tomato soup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat olive oil and saute onions and garlic on low-medium heat for about 5-10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, Italian seasoning and basil and simmer for another 20-30 minutes.
- Add the red wine vinegar, tomato soup and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add cream along with salt and pepper to taste.