Here is a delicious ground beef and Italian sausage pasta dish for your entire family to enjoy. Along with the pasta, tomatoes, ground beef and sausage, we have zucchini and bell pepper to add some natural flavors.
I don’t know why, but stir-fried zucchini is one of my life-long favorites. It goes well with meat and so many other vegetables and just gives it that rich flavor! Same goes for bell peppers! This dish is not the same without either.
The ground beef and Italian sausage make this a filling meal in a dish recipe, making it great for hungry teenagers! And with all the vegetables, this is something that we can all enjoy without feeling too heavy afterwards.
Ingredients Used to Make this Italian Pasta Dish
Ground beef. I use lean ground beef. I find it gives me just the right amount of fat without having to drain. But use whatever you prefer, and drain if you like.
Italian sausage. There are different flavors that you can get. I get the mild, but if I didn’t have a kid to cook for, I’d go for the hot!
Onion. Use your favorite onion that you normally use. I generally go with the white or yellow. One medium onion makes about one cup once diced, and that is about all that you need.
Garlic. I love garlic, and always use fresh whenever possible!
Zucchini. I used about 3 small zucchini. As you stir-fry them they release their juices to flavor the rest of the ingredients in the pan. So yummy delicious!
Bell Pepper. Choose your favorite bell peppers for this recipe. I like the orange, yellow and red, but green work too.
Crushed Tomatoes. I use canned crushed tomatoes because they are not only convenient, but cheap as well. You can always use fresh if you have them on hand.
Italian seasoning. I used my homemade Italian seasoning recipe, but feel free to use your favorite that you have in your spice section.
Fusilli pasta. Pasta is pasta, right? Well maybe not, but honestly, this will taste great with whatever pasta you normally use. Regular pasta, gluten free, rice pasta, elbow pasta, you name it… it’ll work!
How to Serve this Ground Beef, Sausage and Pasta Dish
This is a meal in a dish, so to be honest, this is all you need! But, to take things to the next level, add a Caesar salad and some garlic bread to make a feast of it.
Other Recipes to Try
- Creamy Pasta with Italian Sausage and Ground Beef
- Ham and Pineapple Recipe
- Chicken, Rice, and Broccoli Casserole Recipe
- Ground Beef and Carrot Taco Wraps
- Ground Beef with Potatoes and Cheddar Cheese
Ground Beef and Italian Sausage Pasta Dish
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 zucchini, diced
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 340g package fusilli pasta
- In a large frying pan, heat olive oil on medium heat.
- Remove the casing from the sausage and add to the pan along with the ground beef. Break it up with a spatula and continue to cook until broken up and beef is browned. About 10 minutes.
- Drain the fat if you want, or leave it for more flavor. I always leave it.
- Add the onion and garlic, sauté until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the zucchini and bell pepper. Sauté until vegetables are starting to soften, about 5-10 minutes.
- Next, add the crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for another 10-20 minutes, until pasta is done. The longer you simmer this, the better it tastes!
- While sauce is cooking, cook pasta according to package direction until al dente.
- Drain the pasta and add to the sauce. Stir to combine. Remove from heat and enjoy!