This chicken, rice and broccoli casserole is rich and creamy, filling and delicious! It’s a recipe the entire family will enjoy over and over again. Plus, it makes for great leftovers for lunch the next day.
The only thing that might not be so appealing to children is the broccoli. To help combat that, cut the broccoli into small pieces so they blend in better with the rest of the ingredients.
The same goes for the chicken. If you have to, shred it into really small pieces so they don’t even know it’s there. And Don’t skip the brine! This is key to ensure the chicken doesn’t end up dry, and will go a million miles for the picky eaters.
I like to do mine in a Dutch oven, but you can also use a casserole dish for baking in the oven.
Chicken Breasts. Chicken breasts are expensive so I buy them by the big packs of 4. I brine them and cook them as instructed here in my Chicken Breast Brine Recipe. And then I have them ready for whatever I want to make, including this casserole.
Rice. Use your favorite go-to rice. I prefer brown rice, but white rice will probably taste even better.
Broccoli. Use fresh broccoli as opposed to the frozen florets that you can buy.
Onion. I generally use the white or yellow onions. I buy them by the big bags so I always have them handy.
Milk. Use whole milk. If you have allergies, or just prefer not to use dairy, you can always use a plain nut milk as well.
Cream of Chicken. Use your favorite brand.
Cheddar Cheese. Any brand will work. Cheddar comes in different flavors from mild to strong, so choose whichever you prefer.
How To Store
Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days… if it lasts that long.
Can You Freeze It?
You can totally freeze this if you want. But after it’s been in the freezer, as with any other food, it never tastes the same.
Other Recipes to Try:
- Creamy Pasta with Italian Sausage and Ground Beef
- Ground Beef and Carrot Taco Wraps
- Ground Beef with Potatoes and Cheddar Cheese
- Corn and Beef Taquitos Recipe
- Easy Taco Salad Recipe
Chicken, Rice and Broccoli Casserole Recipe
- 2 cups chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- 4 cups broccoli
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup milk
- 1 can (284ml) cream of chicken soup
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- Brine chicken breasts for 2-6 hours using this brine recipe, or whichever brine you prefer. This is key, don't skip this step!
- Bake chicken at 450 for about 20-30 minutes until done.
- Cook rice as per package instructions.
- Steam broccoli for about 5 minutes.
- In a medium to large frying pan or dutch oven, heat olive oil and saute onions for about 5 minutes.
- Add the milk and cream of mushroom. Heat through.
- Dice the cooked chicken and add to the frying pan along with the rice and broccoli.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir to combine.
- Spray a casserole dish with oil and transfer to the casserole dish. If using a dutch oven, leave it in the dutch oven.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Cover and bake in a 400 degree oven for about 10-15 minutes until the cheese melts.