This easy fusilli al forno recipe is sure to hit the spot with your entire family! Al forno simply means that it is baked in the oven. It’s kind of misleading, because everything is prepared on the stove, and then assembled and baked in the oven just long enough for the cheese to melt.
It’s delicious and filling and perfect for anyone who enjoys ground beef and pasta dishes! Leftovers are delicious as well. So if you’re single you can enjoy this for a few days. And if you have a large family, you can easily double the recipe to save some time in the kitchen the next day!
You can serve this with a Ceasar salad and fresh garlic bread for a complete and wholesome dinner!
The Ingredients for Pasta Al Forno
Fusilli pasta. Honestly, any kind of pasta will do here. If you’re on a special diet, you can go gluten free or keto friendly and it’ll still come out tasting like heaven!
Olive oil. I like to add olive oil to the pan when I fry the ground beef. Any oil in your cupboard will work!
Ground beef. Use lean or extra lean so you don’t have to drain it. Organic and free range is also a preferable choice.
Sea salt. Sea salt is more natural and contains more minerals, but use whatever you have.
Onion. White and yellow is usually what I use. A medium sized onion is about 1 cup after dicing.
Garlic. I prefer fresh garlic. Recently I tried the organic stuff and it is so much better than the conventionally grown.
Crushed tomatoes. I buy the cans because they are just so cheap and convenient!
Italian seasoning. I use my homemade Italian seasoning recipe, but use whatever you prefer.
Fresh basil leaves. For this recipe it has to be fresh basil! The dried stuff just does not compare!
Parmesan cheese. I get the cheap grated stuff, but go with whatever you prefer.
Mozzarella. It has to be mozzarella! I mean you could try other cheeses, but the mozzarella just goes the best with the tomatoes.
Other Recipes to Try:
- Creamy Pasta with Italian Sausage and Ground Beef
- Ground Beef and Italian Sausage Pasta Dish
- Ground Beef with Potatoes and Cheddar Cheese
- Ground Beef and Carrot Taco Wraps
- Corn and Beef Taquitos Recipe
Fusilli Al Forno
- 1 (340 g) box fusilli pasta
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions to al dente.
- Heat a dutch oven with the olive oil. Using a spatula break up the ground beef, and continue to cook until brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped onion and saute for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add the fresh basil, and simmer for about 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the parmesan cheese.
- Add the pasta and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle on the mozzarella cheese. Cover and bake in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes until the cheese melts.
- If you don’t have an oven proof pan, transfer to a greased 9 by 13 inch pan. Sprinkle with cheese and bake until cheese melts.