This creamy pasta with Italian sausage and ground beef also contains spinach and mushrooms for a nutritious meal in a bowl that the entire family will enjoy! It is quick and easy as it only takes about an hour to make, from start to finish, and makes enough to feed a small family for a few meals.
Italian sausages are an easy way to add flavor to just about any dish. They also make it super easy to hide the flavors of spinach and mushrooms, which some kids might not want to eat otherwise. Plus, with the ground beef, you have two pounds of meat in here to fill even the hungriest teenage boys.
Because this recipe is so loaded, you can always omit the mushrooms, the spinach, or even the ground beef if you wanted to, and it would still taste great!
Choose your favorite pasta to make this creamy Italian sausage pasta! I chose a gluten-free Fusilli pasta, but honestly, anything will work from elbow pasta to spaghetti even!
Not only that, if you’re on a special diet like keto, or paleo, you can choose your favorite wheat-free and low-carb pasta that you’re used to. Black bean and kelp pastas are good options for low-carb alternatives.
Tip: For extra creaminess, cook your pasta in whole milk! Fattening, but oh yeah!!! Then use the excess milk to make the sauce instead of the cream!
The Ground Beef
Again, you can choose just about any type of ground beef. But for a healthy dish and lots of flavor, choose organic and grass fed whenever you can. The meat you choose here can make a huge difference in the final taste of the dish.
Another thing to consider is regular, lean or extra lean. Personally, I hate having to drain the fat from my meat, so my personal choice is lean or extra lean.
As for the Italian sausage, choose your favorite brand, and go low-sodium if you’re worried about salt intake.
If you love spice, choose a hot Italian sausage. But if you’re cooking for kids or anyone who has a low tolerance for spice, go with a mild instead.
You will need to remove the casing from the sausage prior to putting it into the pan. This is super easy to do simply by making a slit with a sharp knife.
Other Recipes to Try:
- Ground Beef with Potatoes and Cheddar Cheese
- Easy Taco Salad Recipe
- Easy Meatball Recipe
- Ground Beef and Italian Sausage Pasta Dish
- Salad Recipe with Baby Greens and Blue Cheese
Creamy Pasta with Italian Sausage and Ground Beef
- 1 pound pasta (fusilli, elbow, spaghetti, low-carb, homemade) Your Choice!
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced and divided in half.
- 1 tsp.
- 1 tsp. black pepper, divided
- 5 oz. baby spinach
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 cups mushrooms, diced, or sliced.
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup parmesan
- Cook the pasta to al dente according to package direction. Set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, in a deep frying pan, heat olive oil. Add the ground beef and sausage and break it up with a spatula. Cook until broken up and beef is browned. About 10 minutes.
- Drain the fat if you want, or leave it for more flavor.
- Add the onions, 2 cloves garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for another 10.
- Add the spinach, and cook for another few minutes until the spinach is wilted.
- In another saucepan melt the butter. Add the mushrooms and remaining two cloves of garlic. Cook for about 3-5 minutes until mushrooms are tender.
- Add the chicken broth and cream. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and stir in the parmesan cheese.
- Add the pasta and the sauce to the meat dish. Stir together and serve.