This Kraft dinner and roast beef casserole is quick and easy to make with leftover roast beef. It has a healthy twist with a bunch of vegetables, such as carrots, peas and spinach. We also have lots of cheese to make it delicious and kid-friendly.
I like to make this with the boxed Kraft Dinner because the cheese mix is delicious. It is a quick and easy way to add flavors that you know kids will love.
The casserole stays good in the fridge for a few days.
Kraft Dinner. For this recipe I used the original KD, but other brands work too.
Butter. The box says to use margarine, but I always use butter. I use 1 tablespoon for the macaroni and cheese mixture, and then 2 tablespoons for frying the onions and carrots.
Milk. The box says to use skim milk, but I usually go with whole milk. Or even a cream works too!
Onion. Use any cooking onion that you like. It goes well with the roast as well as the pasta!
Carrots and peas. I use fresh carrots, but the peas are okay frozen. But that is my preference. If you don’t mind missing out on the taste of fresh carrots, and to save time, you can get packages of frozen carrots and peas that you can use here too.
Roast beef. Use any roast beef leftover from the day before. If it’s tough, you can soften if up a bit more by adding it to the frying pan at the same time that you add the onions and carrots.
Beef drippings. You can also use beef broth or gravy if you don’t have the fresh drippings.
Spinach. I always use fresh spinach, but the frozen stuff works too. Just make sure to thaw and dry before using.
Cheddar cheese. I like to add 1 cup to the casserole mixture before adding it to the casserole dish. Then the 2nd cup gets sprinkled on top.
Mozzarella or Monterey jack cheese. You can omit this, but I like cheese, and so do kids! So why not add a white cheese such as mozzarella, marble or Monterey jack.
Other Recipes to Try:
- Leftover Roast Beef Casserole
- Roast Beef Hash Recipe
- Easy Meatloaf Recipe
- Tomato Cabbage Soup
- Lipton Chicken Noodle Soup Hack
Kraft Dinner and Roast Beef Casserole
- 1 box Kraft Dinner
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup milk
Roast Beef and Vegetables
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 2 cups roast beef, diced
- 2 tbsp beef drippings
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 5 cups spinach
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated and divided
- 1 cup mozzarella or Monterey jack cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare Kraft Dinner as per package instructions.
- While pasta cooks, in a large frying pan or Dutch oven, melt butter on medium heat. Saute onions and carrots for about 5 minutes.
- Add the roast beef and drippings and saute for another 5-10 minutes until carrots are almost done.
- Add frozen peas and spinach and cook for another 5 minutes until spinach begins to wilt. Do not overcook at this point.
- Salt and pepper to taste and remove from heat.
- Add prepared Kraft Dinner and 1 cup of cheddar cheese to the mix. Stir to combine.
- Transfer to a greased 9 by 13 inch casserole dish, or leave everything in the Dutch oven. Sprinkle on remaining cheddar and Monterey jack cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes.
Leave a Reply