Mmmm… Chocolate French Toast, served with fresh strawberries and blueberries! What could be better than that first thing in the morning. Or, enjoy this treat late at night too if you like.
I like this recipe not only because it’s quick and easy to make, but it’s kid-friendly, can be prepped the night before and stored in the fridge for 2-3 days before it goes bad.
You can also cook it all in one batch and freeze the toast for a week or two. Personally, I prefer to cook fresh each morning, but it’s totally your call.
Eggs. I use free run, organic eggs. But for this recipe you could probably use any eggs and it would come out tasting good.
Whole milk. Use whatever milk you normally use, whether it be whole, almond or any other nut milk.
Cocoa powder. Again, use whatever brand you normally use, as I’m sure anything is good here.
Honey. I prefer to use honey. But honestly, use your favorite sweetener or even a syrup.
Cinnamon. Cinnamon is optional. But I find it goes really well with the chocolate, vanilla and honey. You could also try nutmeg and other spices that you like with chocolate.
Vanilla extract. The vanilla just makes the chocolate taste better! Use the extract or the bean as you prefer.
Sea salt. I use the Real Salt sea salt brand, but again, any brand will do.
Sliced bread. I use thinly sliced whole wheat bread. But choose any white or another bread that goes well with chocolate and French toast.
Fruit topping. Make this with fresh berries and/or your favorite fruits. Another option instead of the fruit is to serve it with a chocolate syrup.
Optional. Add some whipped cream on top of the berries for even more deliciousness.
- The number of slices you need depends on how long you dip them for. The longer you dip them for, the longer they will need to cook.
- Cook the French toast on medium to low temperature to make sure they cook through without burning.
Other Recipes to Try:
- French Toast Recipe
- Scrambled Eggs with Mushrooms
- Scrambled Eggs With Peppers and Mushrooms
- Scrambled Eggs with Corn
- Oatmeal with Dates and Goji Berries
Chocolate French Toast
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 4-6 slices bread
- Butter for frying.
- 3/4 cup strawberries
- 3/4 cup blueberries
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- In a bowl, whisk the cocoa powder with the milk until smooth.
- Then whisk in the eggs, milk, cocoa powder, honey, cinnamon, vanilla and salt. Transfer to a shallow container.
- Melt butter in a frying pan on medium-low heat. Or use a griddle.
- Lightly dip bread on both sides in egg mixture and place on the griddle or frying pan. Cook until done, then turn to cook the other side.
- In another bowl, mix together all ingredients for the fruit topping. Spoon over the cooked toast and enjoy immediately.
- Optional: You can also spread some butter and drizzle with a syrup before adding the fruit mixture.